Sunday, February 1, 2009

5 reasons not to follow the Padres in 2009

5. The five highest paid Padres are: Jake Peavy (probably traded sometime soon), David Eckstein, Henry Blanco(?), Chris Young, Kevin Correia. Yikes. Followed by Prior and Chris Burke. Granted, Prior and Burke are getting paid <= to a million per. But of the top five, maybe two are good players, one of whom will be moved this season or next. Gross.

4. Speaking of getting moved....Jake Peavy's imminent trade. I mean, this would be higher, but I'm kind of excited for the prospects San Diego should get back. Perhaps some great ones. I haven't done all my homework, but yeah. Peavy is a great pitcher, arguably top three in MLB. I would rather have him than CC (no weight issues and last season CC was thrown out there by the Brewers who could not have cared less about future injuries) and Haren, definitely Harden, definitely Kazmir. And he's younger than Johan. Brandon Webb is probably the only pitcher I'd rather have on my team. So, the Padres should get a windfall from the Peavy trade. But that doesn't change the fact that the best player on this team will be traded because of a 6.5 million dollar contract. I've got a better way to lose 6.5 million bucks. Don't sign Eckstein and Blanco (7.675 million total) and just get some minor league players.

3. David Eckstein starting in the infield. I'm going to have to hear about how tough and exciting he is all year. I don't care. It will be obnoxious. I don't believe in intangibles and I certainly don't care that he tries hard. I kind of expect that out of my professional atheletes. They should all try hard.

2. The Divorce. Get it? Like The Breakup? There's a metaphor here, I just can't find it. Both of them sucked. But at least I watched the Breakup under the influence. I really don't remember it. I seriously doubt I can drink all season long. Baseball is like eight months long. But, seriously, I feel bad for Mr. Moores and all--I hear divorces suck. But I don't see why he doesn't just sell the team and allow San Diego to move one with their Padres. I like the Chargers. But I bleed for the Padres. I get that he wants to remain involved in baseball for awhile and I get that he likes the team. But its kind of like Hoffman's situation. Its time to go. Unfortunately. Times change. And all Moores can do for the Padres at this point is screw things up more.

1. Hoffman. He's gone. Mr. Padre. Not even offered arbitration. I mean, he had a good bounce back year last year statistically especially his strikeout rate returning to above 9/9 innings for the first time since 2003. His OPS against was also pretty good at .655. He seems to be maintaining a pretty good level of production. And I personally feel like he's earned the right to stay as a Padre until he's overpaid and ineffective. Which he is not yet. Aside from the fact that he's a closer and by definition that means he's overpaid. I suppose the Padres did the smart thing by not resigning him and by not offering him arbitration, they didn't even leave him the option of returning. Sigh. I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment